I’ll admit it. I’ve only recently started to discover the United States and all of it’s wonderful travel destinations. In the past my wanderlust has taken me on international trips much more often than traveling within the States but after my first trip to Montana two years ago things have changed. The United States is a beautiful county with such a varied landscape. I feel lucky to have discovered the serene beauty of the West.
The town of Livingston is perfect! It has the quaintness of a small town, yet doesn’t feel too confining or isolated. The houses are all darling and walkable to the downtown. A creative crowd is drawn to Livingston and as result there are many writers and artists living and working in the area. You can see live music and get a great meal all while listening to the train head through town daily.
My Montana Travel List:
1. FLY in to Bozman. It’s a cute town and great if you need to catch lunch after your easy flight in.
2. HOMEBASE in Livingston. It’s a wonderful town only twenty minutes from Bozman and less than an hour to the entrance of Yellowstone Park.
3. STAY at at the historic Murray Hotel in town or Chico Hot Springs where you can ride horses, hang at their Saloon and jump in their natural hot springs. Rental homes are few and far between but we had a fantastic exerpieince with them, so that is also an option.
4. EXPLORE Yellowstone. Do I need to say more? Avoid the crowds by going on the week days and be sure to check out the Lamar Valley. It’s the most spectacular and you are guaranteed to see buffalo.
5. EAT pastries baked fresh daily at the Wildflour Bakery in the teeny-tiny town of Emigrant. It’s on your way from Livingston to Yellowstone.
5. READ a book set in the Montana for full effect (I read “A Bride Goes West” by Helena Hunnington Smith) and be sure to get it at Sax and Fryer.
6. DAY TRIP through the Crazy Mountains to see the most wonderful wildflowers and find real ghost towns (read: no tourists!).
7. DAY DREAM about the beauty and wonder why you never thought of Montana before.